Monday, June 1, 2009

Bing! A new search engine emerges

Google might have some competition coming its way in the form of Microsoft's Bing, a search engine that is developed to give answers instead of just relevant information. 


Intrigued, I decided to take a look. I immediately went to Google to find information on Bing, and chuckled when I realized the irony of the situation. I wonder if people will ever get accustomed to going elsewhere to find information rather than Google at first thought? Perhaps that is an ignorant comment seeing as our technology world advances at an incredible speed and new ideas and concepts sprout up every second, Google could be overtaken in a minute if a bigger and better competitor came along...right? I guess we'll find out. 

In the meantime, it's worth your while to check out Bing. The homepage itself is pretty impressive (if you're impressed by cool images and web page design, that is). I sat for a moment thinking of some amazing term to test search Bing's claim at finding "answers" rather than just relevant information, and I, of course, could think of nothing better than "Sloane Cannon" (feel free to detect the sarcasm).

I popped up in several results, some blog posts from my personal blog, some from this blog, and a few results from previous accomplishments--even dating all the way back to my high school years. However, Google results were no different. So far, I haven't been able to think of something I really need "answers" for rather than relevant results...but I'm still thinking. 

I've decided to keep Bing as part of a permanent tab to give it a few more tries, see how its popularity fairs since its just recently joined the live Internet. If you want more information on Bing check out this article from the Wall Street Journal, OR simply go to Bing itself and see what you can find. 

Happy searching and answer finding, and happy Monday everyone!

Until next time, 

Sloane and Chelsea

No comments:

Post a Comment